Tomorrow morning is leg day at the gym!
This is always a special day for me at the gym because of the focus, determination, and mindset required to “win” – especially when compared to chest or back day (which are much easier by comparison).
Any compound leg exercise (e.g., squat, dead lift, lunge) is more or less engaging every muscle in the body – in a single movement. This requires complete focus at all times because all muscles need to be working together.
During a dead lift for example, the following needs to be happening simultaneously:
- Feet consciously cemented in place
- Knees bent, but not bent past the end of my toes
- Butt squeezed tight
- Abs squeezed tight
- Shoulders pulled back by squeezing the shoulder blades together
- (Remember to breathe)
- Then lift!
If I forget to do just one of those things, I can get injured, simple as that.
Here’s what’s on tap for tomorrow’s leg day:
- Barbell squat: 4 sets of 11 reps
- Dead lift: 3 sets of 11 reps
- Leg press: 3 sets of 11 reps
- Leg extension: 3 sets of 11 reps
- Leg curl: 3 sets of 11 reps
- Back extension: 4 sets of 10 reps
Grrrr! Let’s do this.